Hey, you know what would be cool? A new scale, that’s what!
Not content with a a cupboard full of 28mm WWII, I picked up some Zvevda plastics, US and German, in 20mm. They’re so cheap, it would be rude not to do both sides. I have a vague idea that I can use them for the Airfix Introductory Wargame. I’ve not played it yet, but a read of the rules makes me think it is what it says on the box, and Modiphius have a pretty good track record. I think a key challenge for this game is finding the right audience. It is an introductory game, so alongside airfix models or in more general game or toy shops is probably ideal. At wargames stockists it may simply be too simple to please existing wargamers. Good luck to them, it deserves an audience.
Anyway, back to the minis. It’s been over 30 years since I’ve painted any softer plastics, or this scale. A wee stroll along memory lane (insert dad joke here). I started with the Germans because you’ve got to start somewhere.
I know some folk can do masterful jobs on smaller scales, and hats off to them. I didn’t take much care or time- the goal to get the box painted. At this scale (and smaller) the general impression is all that is required, and I feel I have achieved that.
Now onto the US.
Man, life can really get in the way of hobby sometimes. So in an attempt to get my mini-mojo back I picked up an Airfix kit I bought a couple of months ago in a moment of nostalgia. It is a Bedford truck. As I don’t collect the British (in 28mm) I figured I could use it with my Germans, reasoning that it was left behind in 1940 and subsequently found its way into the Wehrmacht service.
I have not built an Airfix kit in a long long time, so I got a bit of a shock when I opened the box. There are a lot of parts for such a little vehicle.
Forty steps! What had I got myself into?
Actually, the kit is a pleasure. The molding is crisp, the plastic well behaved and the instructions clear. I did get a reminder on why you should read the instructions first. I’m mumbling along at the many tiny parts that create the engine when I realise that I can just glue the hood shut and not have to do any of those bits!
I realise as I type this I’m a windscreen short of finished, but even without it I’m pleased with the result:
Three things have come together in a rather nice sort of way.
The first thing was some months ago while helping my Dad move. Lurking in the back of a cupboard was a Bailey Bridge, one of the old Airfix kits. The paint job clearly dated it to my early teens, so I gave it a quick make over:
Second, I picked up an Osprey release about River Assault Tactics in WW2. It is kind of obvious when you think about it, but there are a lot of rivers that need crossing and this seems to be an opportunity for gaming.
Lastly, I have a game coming up next weekend. Well, no doubt there are rivers in the grim dark future and they will need assaulting and defending.
So, I’ve written a mission. Starting with the planet strike rules, the attacker starts off the board and uses a dawn of war (5th ed) type arrival in turn one. The defender can set up anywhere on the board, gets a bastion and some aegis lines for free but has to sit through an initial bombardment.
Just to make things a bit more grim dark the river will be toxic waste, released from a chemical works upstream. This will make the river both difficult and dangerous to cross.
Damn! Send word for the old Rhinos- the new ones won’t fit in the bridge.
I let you know how it goes (and write up the mission in a bit more detail).